From its founding in 1905, Woodlawn Cemetery has served the families of Sioux Falls and Minnehaha County in their time of need.
Richard Pettigrew, along with Ulysses S. G. Cherry and Charles O. Bailey formed a corporation entitled “The Woodlawn Cemetery” under the laws of the State of South Dakota. In addition to the three named incorporators, B. H. Lien and P. F. Sherman comprised the original Board of Directors.
Some very important tenants were included in the incorporating document of the Cemetery in 1905. They included the provisions that Woodlawn Cemetery is a perpetual corporation, has no capital stock, and is controlled absolutely by the lot owners. No person can be a Director who is not a lot owner.
A condition was placed in the deeds conveying the lands that 25 percent of the proceeds from the sales of lots should be placed at interest and the income used for perpetual care of the Cemetery. When all lots are sold, the corporation will still exist, and care will continue to be taken of the lots and monuments.
For the more than 100 years of its existence, the Board of Directors and employees of Woodlawn Cemetery have dedicated themselves to the continued care and beautification of the Cemetery that was evident from its beginning.
For more information and hours of operation, please see the “About Us” link, above, or feel free to contact us at:
Woodlawn Cemetery Association
2001 South Cliff Avenue
Sioux Falls, SD 57105
Phone (605) 332-
Copyright © 2014 -